National & International Reports
National & International Reports
The authoritative reports below provide a range of information, both general and detailed, on strategies and efforts to
Reports by type:
- International reports
- National Climate Assessment and technical input
- National Strategic Plans
- National Task Force reports
- America's Climate Choices suite of studies by the National Research Council
- Other publications by the National Research Council and the National Academy of Sciences
The Working Group II contribution to the IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report considers the
This report fulfills a commitment under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) to publish every four years a National Communication that provides a comprehensive report on actions taken to combat climate change. Chapter 6, entitled Vulnerability, Assessment, Climate Change Impacts, and Adaptation Measures, addresses adaptation actions happening at multiple scales throughout the United States. Go >
USGCRP is legally mandated to conduct a quadrennial National Climate Assessment (NCA). The NCA collects and synthesizes observations and research from around the country, covering the impacts of climate change in every U.S. region and many sectors of the economy and society.
- The 2014 NCA is available to explore interactively or download.
- The Adaptation Chapter of the 2014 NCA summarizes actions taking place in multiple sectors (governmental, non-governmental, private sector) and across all scales (Federal, state, local, regional, tribal). It also describes common barriers to adaptation and includes case studies about overcoming them.
A Comprehensive Review of Climate Adaptation In The United States: More Than Before, But Less Than Needed (2012)
This peer-reviewed article served as a major technical input for the 2014 NCA Adaptation Chapter. The review provides examples of existing and planned adaptation activities of Federal, tribal, state, and local governments and the private sector. Go >
This decadal Strategic Plan lays out four strategic goals for USGCRP and describes how the Program will achieve them. Goal 2, "Inform Decisions," aims to provide the scientific basis for informing and enabling timely decisions on adaptation,
Recommendations of the State, Local, and Tribal Leaders Task Force on Climate Preparedness and Resilience (2014)
Established by Executive Order (EO) 13653, this Task Force used their first-hand experiences as community leaders to make recommendations on how the Federal Government can support climate
Reports of the Interagency Climate Change Adaptation Task Force
EO 13514 directed the Interagency Climate Change Adaptation Task Force to recommend ways for Federal policies and programs to better prepare the Nation for climate change. The subsequent EO 13653 called for the termination of the Interagency Climate Change Adaptation Task Force and replaced it with the Council on Climate Preparedness and Resilience, which will continue and build on the Adaptation Task Force’s work. Below are several reports that the Adaptation Task Force published in response to EO 13514, which remain relevant to Federal adaptation planning and implementation.
- Progress Report (2011) - This report provides an update on actions in key areas of Federal adaptation, including: building resilience in local communities, safeguarding critical natural resources such as freshwater, and providing accessible climate information and tools to help decision-makers manage climate risks. Go >
- Interim Progress Report (2010) - This interim report recommends key components to include in a national strategy on climate change adaptation. Go >
- Progress Report (2010) - This report articulates a set of policy goals and recommendations to the President. Go >
National Research Council
America’s Climate Choices (2011)
America’s Climate Choices: Advancing the Science of Climate Change (2010)
America’s Climate Choices: Limiting the Magnitude of Climate Change (2010)
America’s Climate Choices: Informing an Effective Response to Climate Change (2010)
America’s Climate Choices: Adapting to the Impacts of Climate Change (2010)