USGCRP Strategic Planning 2007–2012
As mandated by Congress, USGCRP develops a new strategic plan every ten years, with triennial revisions and updates. The 2012–2021 Strategic Plan is being implemented by the collective efforts of the 13 agencies that collaboratively help the Nation better understand
global change and its impacts. The 2012–2021 Strategic Plan was developed by a team of over 100 Federal scientists in collaboration with USGCRP leadership. The team drew on the advice of the National Academies and feedback from public sessions with stakeholder groups. The plan was revised in response to public comments and reviews by USGCRP, CENRS member agencies, and the National Research Council.
Input to the 2012–2021 Strategic Plan
- 2007–2009 Listening Sessions with stakeholder groups
- 2010–2011 Town Halls to provide updates on the Plan's development and facilitate ongoing stakeholder engagement
- 60-day public comment period
- National Research Council review of draft Plan
- National Research Council reports commissioned to guide USGCRP activities and future planning
Strategic Planning History
Past strategic plans that have guided USGCRP over time, including during the period 2002–2009, when the Program was known as the U.S.
- 2008 - Revised Research Plan: An Update to the 2003 Strategic Plan
- 2003 - Strategic Plan for the U.S. Climate Change Science Program
- 1989 - Our Changing Planet: The FY 1990 Research Plan
- 1989 - Our Changing Planet: A U.S. Strategy for Global Change Research
National Research Council Reports
Available from the National Academies Press.
- 2011 - America's Climate Choices. 144 pp.
- 2010 - America's Climate Choices: Advancing the Science of Climate Change. 528 pp.
- 2010 - America's Climate Choices: Adapting to the Impacts of Climate Change. 292 pp.
- 2010 - America's Climate Choices: Informing an Effective Response to Climate Change. 348 pp.
- 2010 - America's Climate Choices: Limiting the Magnitude of Future Climate Change. 726 pp.
- 2009 - Restructuring Federal Climate Research to Meet the Challenges of Climate Change. 254 pp.
- 2009 - Informing Decisions in a Changing Climate. 200 pp.
- 2008 - Ensuring the Climate Record from the NPOESS and GOES-R Spacecraft. 180 pp.
- 2008 - Potential Impacts of Climate Change on U.S. Transportation: Special Report 290. 296 pp.
- 2008 - Global Climate Change and
Extreme WeatherEvents: Understanding the Contributions to Infectious Disease Emergence: Workshop. 304 pp.
- 2008 - Hydrologic Effects of a Changing Forest Landscape. 194 pp.
- 2008 - Observing Weather and Climate from the Ground Up: A Nationwide Network of Networks.
- 2008 - Public Participation in Environmental Assessment and Decision Making. 322 p.
- 2007 - Earth Science and Applications from Space: National Imperatives for the Next Decade and Beyond. 456 pp.
- 2007 - Assessment of the NASA Applied Sciences Program. 160 pp.
- 2007 - Evaluating Progress of the U.S. Climate Change Science Program: Methods & Preliminary Results. 170 pp.
- 2007 - Analysis of Global Change Assessments: Lessons Learned. 182 pp.
- 2007 - Understanding Multiple Environmental Stresses: Report of a Workshop. 141 pp.
- 2007 - Research and Networks for Decision Support in the NOAA Sectoral Applications Research Program. 96 pp.
- 2007 - Environmental Data Management at NOAA: Archiving, Stewardship, and Access. 130 pp.
- 2007 - NOAA’s Role in Space-Based Global Precipitation Estimation and Application. 142 pp.